Monday 23 November 2015

A Flood that increased my Faith
November 2005. An unforgettable time.
I was a distance learning student traveling from my hometown Kayalpatnam to Chidambaram where
the Annamalai University was situated. The distance education was such that I could attend my theory
exams in the UAE (where I was settled), but had to come to the university for the practical sessions and
exam.
Leaving my family behind in the Emirates and staying with my grandparents and aunts for 7 long
months left me homesick. I was excited to attend the University as this would be my first time
experiencing the 'college life'. Moreover, I couldn't wait to get back with my father, mother, chubby
brother who I missed fighting with, and lovely sister who was my closest friend.
On that fateful day, right after breakfast, I left to Chidambaram with my maternal grandfather (appa),
paternal aunt (maami), a distant relative, and the driver, in a Maruti van. The 470 km journey may seem
like an arduous one to some, but to me it was a fun adventure. Little did I expect it to become a lifethreatening
episode.
The road trip started smooth. We talked, joked, played a couple games, and listened to the tape. We also
kept updating our family as and when we crossed a major city. The light drizzling which turned into a
good shower was a beautiful addition to my enjoyment.
And then suddenly, out of nowhere, there was a huge downpour of rain. The road was beginning to
flood. We couldn't see where the road started and ended. Nevertheless, we persevered. My uncle kept
getting down to check for ditches, by poking around with a long branch, so our van's tyre doesn't get
stuck in it. If you had seen the Indian roads then, you would understand.
Meanwhile, the mobile network wasn't working. Each of us had a different company cell number, and
none of them worked. As every minute passed, the flood kept increasing. My heart started beating fast.
My mind imagined all sorts of worst-case scenarios. I shivered inside, yet I put on a brave face. Maami
being the sweet lady she was, encouraged us by giving hope and reminding that our Creator will never
intend us harm, that He will always bring goodness out of every situation.
Finally, appa's mobile got connected. Everyone back home was worried as they saw the news about the
flood on TV. And they informed us that Chidambaram was heavily flooded. We didn't know what to do.
I had my classes start within a couple of days and the exam will be held soon after. After discussing, we
decided we will stay in Trichy at one of our relatives' house and we will resume the journey after the
floods subside.
Now a bit relieved, with a temporary destination in mind we pursued our trip. At around 5.30, just
outside the Trichy border, the flood had risen as high up to an adult's knee. We had stopped our van and
were wondering if we should wait it out. Just then, a trailer passed by us. We saw the driver stop a few
feet away from us, make a u-turn, and return. We stopped and asked him why he didn't pass through.
He replied, “No brother, we had heard that there was another trailer which was overturned in this flood.
At first we didn't believe that a small flood like this could overturn; but seeing the intensity made us rethink.
I think it is better you don't enter Trichy now. It is not safe, especially with your Maruti van.”
We were stumped. We couldn't return back either. It would become too late and we had no idea how the
road would be by then. I couldn't tell for the others, but I completely felt lost. All I could think was this
could be the end, this is it, I may never get to see my funny dad, my loving mom, my naughty brother,
and my sweet sister. But even in this adversity, maami never lost her faith in our Lord. She never
faltered in reminding me that verily our Lord will not forsake us.
By then appa had called a few notable people in our hometown, and informed them about our situation.
They had said they'd call us back shortly. Maami and appa were trying to lighten the mood by cracking
jokes and telling stories of past. And though I laughed and went along with their conversation, I could
hear the quiver in my own voice.
Finally, the phone rang! Appa's chat with the caller ended as abruptly as it had begun. This doesn't seem
like a good sign, I thought to myself.
“They suggested we go to Thuvarankurichi, and meet with a certain person. They have given me his
phone number. We will call them as soon as we reach there,” appa said.
Thuvarankurichi is a small town near the outskirts of Trichy. As soon as we entered the town, I had a
queasy feeling about it. We met the said person and followed him to a place where we will reside.
What came next was not something I had envisioned. Our van came to a halt right in front of a huge
mansion, beautifully designed with complete marbled floor. The hosts welcomed us graciously and
treated us like one of their own. After a cup of warm tea and snacks, they sent us upstairs where maami
and I shared a room, appa and uncle were given a room, and the driver had a room downstairs.
In the three days we stayed, they served us scrumptious breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In the mornings
they took us to meet their neighbours and families, and in the evenings they took us outside on a minitour
around their town.
And in one of those days, we met with the owner of the house at an orchard. He was a hard-working
man, as conveyed by the prominently popping veins in his hands and body. When we had met him he
was wearing merely a lungi and was sitting on a thatch-made cot. After the usual greetings, appa
introduced me to him and him to me. And that was when I came to know that he was the village chief.
That totally surprised me. I would visualize a man of such a post to be dressed neatly, have many
servants under him, and he would only have to delegate tasks. But this humble man put things in to
perspective for me. Not all those who are strong are powerful, rather those who are humble are the ones
who are powerful enough to influence others.
As our day of departing came, I felt as if I were in a movie while in that house, and the movie was
coming to end, whereby I will be returning back to a life of reality. Though I knew the movie was
ending, I realized the phrase 'All good things must come to an end' is not necessarily true. After all, it
was only our meeting that was concluded, not our memories.
The people of Thuvarankurichi are someone who I will be ever grateful for.
Posted by Ummu Afraz

2 Comments:

At 23 November 2015 at 01:16 , Blogger kader said...

It is an I opening insident to all

 
At 23 November 2015 at 08:19 , Blogger Umm Afraz said...

May Allah bless you appa :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home